4.24.2008

i'm either overly compassionate or incredibly insensitive.

ok. long train of links for my train of thought.

started off at jennsylvania

read this post: The Opposite of LOL

(this is the referenced LOL dog pic)
Photobucket
(heart breaking, no? if you don't tear up looking at this picture, you have no soul. )


which led me to this site: Feeding Pets of the Homeless

here's the gist: homeless people stay on the streets because seeking services would mean leaving their pets. as a result, these pets need food.

***

here is where my compassion/insensitivity comes in.

i find this concept unbelievably selfish. yes, yes. people love their pets and don't want to give them up. aw, how sweet. i get that.


...so rather than parting ways...you'd rather risk STARVING your pet? seriously?? you'd risk keeping your pet in horrible conditions with NO shelter...just so you have a buddy?


hm. this does not seem like love. to me, it seems more like abuse.*






*wow...and i just freaked myself out. totally had a flashback to the book Pluto, Animal Lover.


1 comment:

Lori Whitwam said...

I need money. Because Jen says donate to the organization that helps homeless people with pets. However (and I may need to blog about this)(and no, I am not Pluto, but it might sound like it) Tom and I had a disturbing discussion yesterday in which I realized that if we were stranded in a snowy mountain pass, I would totally eat him to survive, but would starve to death before I'd eat any of my dogs. (Assuming that he and the dogs are already dead and I've somehow survived them, which is unlikely) I figure he could say, before dying, "Hey, it's OK to munch on some of the remaining flesh if you want," but the dogs can't say that, and I'd feel I was betraying them.
Now, how horrifying is all that???